Thursday, August 18, 2011

Cutting back to bring growth

The other day I was scalping back the grass to bring back health to the lawn. I had to put the mower on the lowest setting and mow down the thick, overgrown bermuda grass at my new house. The grass had not been mowed for what seemed like a long time. When I was done, I was a little discouraged and concerned. It looked dead. Lifeless. All I saw was dirt and a few green clumps bermuda grass and nutgrass. But now I look at it a few weeks later, after giving it consistent water and a few more mowings. It is booming back to life. Those patches of grass are filling in and the grass is looking healthy and strong. It has a ways to go but it looks hopeful and I anticipate with time it will fill in and the kids will be able to run and enjoy a lush green lawn.
I remember and am encouraged by the words of Jesus in John 15 as I reflected on this experience with the grass. Jesus said that every branch in Him that does not bear fruit He takes away and that every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Jesus wants us to bear fruit. He said that the pruning and purging of overgrown branches is necessary for healthy growth. The kingdom principle in that passage is that God takes away or cleanses in order to bring health and fruit to the branches. It is for the glory of the vine and the joy of the branches that God does this. He wants us to experience that intimate relationship with Him by abiding in Him and remaining in Him. God reminded me of where we are as a young developing church. We are a new church plant that is in it's infancy and we have alot of growing and maturing to do. And the only way we can move forward in the Spirit is to cut back. We had so many things and activities going on. Personally, I felt like(because of my church background and what I know of church life) that if we are going to be a legit church we need tons of activities and functions for people to attend and participate in at the church. God showed me that though those things are good and maybe even necessary down the road, they aren't for us right now at this season and time in the church. Right now God is cutting us back to help us focus on the essentials, prayer, fellowship, studying the Word, and breaking bread together which will in the long run help us to grow in Christ and make us strong and healthy as His people. It may seem lifeless and hopeless and even bleak right now but it is part of God's plan to lead us for His glory, in His will, and for His plan in the church. Thank you Lord for Your gracious leading in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment